Wednesday, November 13 marks World Kindness Day — a perfect excuse to focus on making our workplaces supportive, friendly, and kind. Follow our simple tips to spreading kindness and cultivate a workplace culture that will improve happiness and productivity simultaneously.
A small group of committed people can change the world. It is indeed the only thing that ever has. MARGARET MEAD
November 13th | World Kindness Day
There are remarkable benefits to spreading kindness at work. Kindness creates a positive ripple that affects the whole workplace culture, creating a more harmonious environment in the office and life in general. Spreading kindness is shown to improve relationships, reduce stress, and even lower blood pressure.
Here are a few easy, but extremely impactful ways to bring kindness to your workplace that can inspire a common practice all year round.
Offer praise, advice or help:
- Say “thank you” in person, or with a thoughtfully written note.
- Champion another person’s idea
- Offer advice to a coworker who may be struggling
- Write someone a note or send an email of praise
- Tell your manager how he or she has helped you grow in your job
- Commend a coworker to his or her manager
- Pitch in, unasked, when someone’s overloaded with work
- Handle a team member’s irate customer
- Connect a colleague to a person in your business network
- Share positive news (as opposed to rumor and gossip)
Other Small Acts of Kindness:
- Bring in coffee, tea or snacks for your department
- Offer to help a colleague with a project
- Ask colleagues about their lives—their interests or families are easy places to start
- Be positive, smile and greet everyone by name
- Hold open doors
- Don’t check your phone when you’re with others
- Invite a new hire to lunch
- Remember others’ birthdays
- Clean up a common area at your workplace
Kindness is contagious. At our RI recruitment agency, we try to practice kindness on a daily basis, whether it's bringing in a treat to share in the breakroom, or celebrating a co-worker's birthday as a team. When we’re kind, we inspire others to be kind, and they inspire others to do the same … and on and on. So spread kindness at work—and cultivate a workplace culture that will improve happiness and productivity simultaneously!